Wednesday 12 March 2014

The Long Way Back Home Messenger

Guys, another messenger bag for you. This one is mine :)


Mamma's got a brand new bag

I was dithering over a name. It was going to be The Money Saving Messenger because it's made entirely of scrap fabric and it saved me a lot of money, but then I went out and spent £7 on webbing at Ray-Stitch. So that name went out the window.

In the end, we've got a new one for the Barenaked Collection. I'm calling it the Long Way Back Home Bag. Why? Perhaps it's a kick-ass song, perhaps it's because the bag is blue, perhaps it's because the bag is just big enough to help me skip the country should the occasion arise*. Perhaps because it's just right to hold everything I call home.
See? Holds all of the important things

It's a bag from travels, meant for travels. The design is taken from a wrecked bag I had as a teen that has journeyed around Europe, the components are from 5 different places I've called home and hopefully the bag will be trekking a lot again this year.

Incidentally, do you know where I was last week? Here's a clue:
Spot the bag...
I've decided to road test it properly on a whirlwind trip to NYC, and am glad to say it took some abuse and fared really well! 

I somehow managed to cram in a flying visit to Mood (realising on 34st I'd never actually looked up the address), and came away with two beautiful silks. I was overwhelmed the first time I visited Goldhawk Road, but man, Mood is something else! That place is crazy! 
Concerned about the organised chaos
Anyway, back to the bag. I used Simplicity 2358 as a base again, but made some very heavy functional modifications. I demand a lot from a bag so I took features from all the bags I like and have tried to remake them. Mostly this includes a hell of a lot of extra pockets. The one on the back from my other version is there again, I added 3 in the main compartment, a hidden zippered pocket between the main compartment and the flap facing, and a whole new compartment in the front of the bag.

Concealed pocket between main compartment and flap facing
Closed


The new compartment is a basic zippered addition, with a few extra pockets in it. Can you tell I'm a fan of pockets?

The new compartment and its interior pockets
One other functional addition before looking at design features. Check this out, IT'S ONLY A BLOODY BUILT-IN RAIN COVER!

Aaaaaah!


Check it out!
I had some spare rip-stop and elastic (fugly knicker elastic in case you were wondering) that needed using, so I made a rain cover. Boom.
Cut out a square and sew a  casing around the edge
Feeding fugly knicker elastic through...

So, I really wanted to take some time over the design aspects too. The colours are largely RGB (what else?) and most of the colour coordination has been consistent. The topstitching is a brightish blue, and complements the bright red strap. I had some spare cotton sateen ribbon so added that to the front compartment too. 

Okay, the strap is a little dodgy. These striped bag straps are absolutely everywhere at the moment and Raystich has an excellent selection of colourways for them. I'm absolutely in love with them. However, finding the correct size hardware in London is impossible (38mm), I hate it. In the end, the best fudge-solution was a backpack slider and a spare 50mm d-ring. Not ideal, definitely looks a little fudged but it does the job. 


The D-ring in action

My favourite design feature is the piecing (cough, fudge fix, cough) in the main compartment, which is finished with some golden topstitching. I really wanted to use the kelsch in this project and am so glad it was possible, if only just.

All of the components laid out in construction order
Reduced to two separate pieces
Construction was a BIG headscratching moment as there were a lot of pieces to fit together in the right order. I spent many hours staring at it all laid out, just trying to visualise how it would work. In the end, I pulled the whole bag inside out through the front compartment. It was a difficult birth.

Big bag, tiny hole

The bag is settling in well to its new life. In the spirit of showing that it's actually being used, here's a picture of it in action after we discovered a topiary elephant in North London last week.

Topiary elephant. Casual.

That's it for now! See ya!

K

*turns out the airport authorities might be a bit suspicious of baggage you make yourself. It may lead to your precious me-makes getting swabbed, and generally getting held up at every opportunity.


PS. Many thanks to Katrina from Muffin Top Vintage for some of the lining fabric, it's a vintage curtain, she made an awesome dress from it an kindly donated some yardage to the epic swap last year. Thank you! It's gone to good use!

3 comments:

  1. Just checking- you have seen u handbag on the net? She does a goodish range of bag hardware, though whether she has the right size slider for you, I don't know... Worth looking next time..

    Have you lost your numbers yet? I shall soon see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw you said you love elephants. Sneaky.

      Delete